JeForceX
Topic Author

[Fan Fiction] Pathway to Darkness - Chapter 2 | Knowledge is Power

Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:34 pm

Chapter 2 | Home Away From Home

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the sun is setting towards the western horizon, both Kira and Siena managed to reach the town of Namuu in Everglades by foot. Siena stopped walking, turned around, and gently raised her arm towards the town as though welcoming Kira to a holiday resort.

Siena: Here we are, my hometown of Namuu in the region of Everglades.
Kira: Thank you Siena, for leading the way! I shall make a move now.
Siena: The skies are getting dark. How about coming over to my place for dinner, wash up, and resting for the night?
Kira: I guess you are right. It has been a long day of traveling and I have not eaten anything since I left my hometown before dawn.
Siena: Follow me, I will show you the way to my place.
Kira: Alright, lead the way sister.

Siena leads the way while Kira follows from behind. After a short walk, the pair reached a cathedral and Kira starts to feel uneasy about where he is being led to.

Kira: Wait a minute. This is your 'place'?
Siena: Yes, that is correct. I am a priestess who lives in this cathedral together with my brothers and sisters.
Kira: Will I be imposing on your brothers and sisters as I am outsider?
Siena: No worries, my place is open to and welcomes peaceful travelers from all walks of life.
Kira: (I am not a peaceful traveler though.) Alright sister, lead the way.

Siena continues to lead the way and Kira follows her into the cathedral hall, and then to the cathedral gardens. Just before reaching the dining hall, Kira stopped following Siena and started putting down his rucksack and equipments on a nearby bench with table.

Kira: Sister Siena, this is the furthest I will go.
Siena: Alright, I will bring some food over while you rest in our holy garden.

Siena walked into the dining hall while Kira settles down on the bench and breathed a sigh of relief. A few moments later, Siena returned with a tray of hot-piping food. Baked potatoes, washed lettuce, carrot slices, and cream of mushroom soup.

Siena: I hope these are adequate for your tastebuds.
Kira: Thank you for the accommodation sister! These would do fine.
Siena: So .. what brings you here to Everglades?
Kira: I am looking for a powerful mystic by the name of 'Ellis Quinn'. Do you know where I can find her?
Siena: Ahh yes .. that archaelogist even though she is a mystic! She resides in the town of Khorban, just a short walking distance away from Namuu.
Kira: May I trouble you once again to show me the way?
Siena: Why are you looking for Ellis?
Kira: A family member of mine is suffering from a mysterious illness which cannot be cured by ordinary means. I believe it is a curse and I need help from someone with knowledge in this domain.
Siena: You saved my life without asking for anything in return and I will gladly do the same for you and your family. The wash area is over there just round the corner so have a good night rest and I will come find you again after sunrise.

Siena left the cathedral garden while Kira finishes up the food. After Kira was done with dinner and bath, he laid down on the bench and shut his eyes to catch some sleep.

One chicken lord .. two chicken lords .. three chicken lords ..

Mysterious Voice: Wake up Kira .. wake up!
Kira: Uhh .. I am so tired .. is the sun rising already? Can you let me sleep for a little bit more?
Mysterious Voice: The town is under attack by cultists! Wake up and help to fight!
Kira: What happened? Where am I? Who are you?
Mysterious Voice: It is me, Siena! You are in my hometown of Namuu, Everglades. The sun is not up yet!
Kira: Cultists? Those men I fought earlier in the day? Let me grab my gear.

Kira grabbed his gear and rushed out of the cathedral garden onto the main street area. Many of the town buildings are on fire, men are being slaughtered with knife wounds, women and children are being tied up in ropes and dragged along the ground by evil men in hooded robes.

Without any hesitation, Kira drew out his blades and attempted to rush into the fray but it seems like his leg movements are as slow as being trapped underwater. A bigger and taller version of man in hooded robes stopped by right in front of him and drove a sword through his heart.

Man in Hooded Robes: You are a fool to have come this far. Now you shall die slowly and painfuly while watching the world burn before your eyes!

Kira tries to move his arms and legs but nothing happened while the sword continues to pierce through his heart.

One chicken lord .. two chicken lords .. three chicken lords ..

Gentle Female Voice: Good morning Kira .. the sun has risen ..
Kira: Uhh .. I am sorry Siena .. I have failed you ..
Siena: Kira, are you alright?
Kira: Oh .. It was just a bad dream. Sorry about that.
Siena: Go wash up while I bring some food over for your breakfast.
Kira: Thank you sister! I will be on my way.

Kira made his way to the wash area while Siena left the cathedral garden into the dining hall to get some food. A few moments later, Kira is done washing up and Siena returned with food for breakfast. Freshly baked Baguette, Strawberry Jam, and Sweet Corn Porridge.

Siena: Feel free to eat up while the food is still hot.
Kira: Thank you sister Siena for the food and accommodation!
Siena: Had a bad dream last night?
Kira: Yes, I dreamed about Namuu being attacked by cultists and I got killed by one of the cultists.
Siena: That sounded scary but you are safe now. Finish up the food and we will be on our way to Khorban.

As soon as Kira and Siena finished the food for breakfast, they started packing their belongings, and travel towards the direction of Khorban.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Previous: Chapter 1 | The Road Less Traveled
Current: Chapter 2 | Home Away From Home
Next: Chapter 3 | Journey to Khorban
Last edited by JeForceX on Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ashenwind

Re: [Fan Fiction] Pathway to Darkness

Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:24 am

one chicken lord...two chicken lord...three chicken lord....

for some reason I imagined this passage as a loading screen.. :P

This chapter feels like intermission to me. Not much really happened. Does this mean Siena has become a permanent party member?
Kira having this nightmare.. don't tell me it's because he's too pessimistic toward the future? Ahah, just kidding. I can tell it's some kind of premonition.

Oh, I've been wondering. At this point, what are their class? Seeing that Kai Kira used Shadow Strike at chapter 1, he's still a thief? Or is it you make all the person being able to use their previous class' skills?

Solemnly waiting for the next chapter.

One chicken lord... two chicken lord... three chicken lord...
Last edited by ashenwind on Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JeForceX
Topic Author

Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:04 pm

one chicken lord...two chicken lord...three chicken lord....

for some reason I imagined this passage as a loading screen.. :P

This chapter feels like intermission to me. Not much really happened. Does this mean Siena has become a permanent party member?
Kira having this nightmare.. don't tell me it's because he's too pessimistic toward the future? Ahah, just kidding. I can tell it's some kind of premonition.

Oh, I've been wondering. At this point, what are their class? Seeing that Kai used Shadow Strike at chapter 1, he's still a thief? Or is it you make all the person being able to use their previous class' skills?

Solemnly waiting for the next chapter.

One chicken lord... two chicken lord... three chicken lord...

The chapters in this story are designed to run on a cold-hot-cold-hot pattern.
As for Siena, well .. not going to spoil too much. You will get to find out more in the chapters ahead. ;)

Great observation skills you have there! More to be unveiled in the upcoming chapters!

Oh, I've been wondering. At this point, what are their class? Seeing that Kai used Shadow Strike at chapter 1, he's still a thief? Or is it you make all the person being able to use their previous class' skills?
Kira, not Kai haha! In this fan fiction, all 5* potential characters are capable of using all known skills and aura that are unique to them in the game.
The skill mechanics in this fictional world are similar to MOBA games with 3 normal skills, 1 ultimate skill, and 1 passive aura.
Normal 1 - Shadow Strike
Normal 2 - Shadow Mist
Normal 3 - Anti Magic Ki
Ultimate - Flaming Blade of the Swallow
Passive - Cover of the Night

Thank you for your support thus far and do look forward to the upcoming chapters! :)

ashenwind

Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:47 pm

ah right. Kira. That missed my mind until you pointed it out XD (perhaps one of the reason is that I haven't got Kira in game just yet. So my mind might've registered 'Shadow' as Kai, which is the only 5^ shadow I have at this point :oops: That, and the fact that both person name start with K seems to elude me)

hmm interesting system, but makes sense. It's a bit weird after all if someone of higher rank cannot use their skill previous class. It's not like they drink 'forgetful potion EX' right before ascending their class, right?

Wait, looking at the skill list... damn he's both assassin and ninja at the same time XD

To be honest, I was asking about their class because I had difficulties in imagining their costume xp

JeForceX
Topic Author

Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:01 pm

ah right. Kira. That missed my mind until you pointed it out XD (perhaps one of the reason is that I haven't got Kira in game just yet. So my mind might've registered 'Shadow' as Kai, which is the only 5^ shadow I have at this point :oops: That, and the fact that both person name start with K seems to elude me)

hmm interesting system, but makes sense. It's a bit weird after all if someone of higher rank cannot use their skill previous class. It's not like they drink 'forgetful potion EX' right before ascending their class, right?

Wait, looking at the skill list... damn he's both assassin and ninja at the same time XD

To be honest, I was asking about their class because I had difficulties in imagining their costume xp
The good thing about writing fan fiction is that we can define the rules of the fantasy world we built but of course, not to the point of making the MC overpowered.
With that said, other characters in the story have the same setting such as Siena being able to use Inquisitor, Archbishop, Priest, and Acolyte skills.
This creates a feeling of depth in the character instead of a flat character who can only use one skill from the start till the end of the story.

Well, I will leave this up to the readers' power of imagination. :P
I prefer the designs of Assassin Kira and Inquisitor Siena.

ashenwind

Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:27 pm

Well, I will leave this up to the readers' power of imagination. :P
I prefer the designs of Assassin Kira and Inquisitor Siena.
I guess Ninja costume which reeks of Kalryn theme will make Kira seems odd among the crowds. Assassin's outfit will make him looks like 'someone who wants to look low-profile' instead. As for Siena, archbishop version does look a little too sexy for a religious leader outfit XD
But, hmm.. I suppose their initial costumes design is passable for mundane life when they don't have to don their battle outfit.

JeForceX
Topic Author

Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:40 pm

Chapter 3 | Journey to Khorban

The morning sun shines brightly towards the lush green open fields of Everglades as Kira and Siena started a new journey on the dirt road towards the town of Khorban. The skies are clear blue and the winds are fair. A gentle gust of wind whizzed past the pair, sending Siena's hair fluttering in succession and creating gentle waves on her skirt.

Kira: Such beauty!
Siena: The sceneries around Everglades are beautiful right?
Kira: Ahh- yes, beautiful sceneries indeed.

Kira's face began to blush while Siena showed a warm smile towards him as the pair continued to journey down the dirt road. As high noon arrives, fatigue begins to kick in as Kira and Siena have covered quite a distance on the dirt road.

Siena: Kira, my legs are starting to hurt. Shall we take a short break for lunch?
Kira: You are right, we should take a br-

Before Kira manages to complete his sentence, he grabbed Siena by the waist and made a quick dash behind a large rock formation.

Siena: Kyaa~ Kira-kun! I-I am not emotionally ready yet! The sun is still up and we are outdoors!
Kira: Shh! Quiet down for a moment!

Kira moved very slowly and sneaked some peeks at the edges of the large rock formation.

Siena: Kira, my butt hurts ~ :'( .. What happened?
Kira: As I expected. Those are cultists, all twelve of them.
Siena: Cultists? Those men who attacked my wagon yesterday?
Kira: Yes. There are broken wagons and a pile of human corpses in the middle. I wonder what they are up to.
Siena: What should we do now?
Kira: Let us hide behind cover for the time being and see what happens next.

The group of twelve cultists started gathering around the pile of human corpses, raising their arms up in the air, and chanting magic incantations. Dark clouds formed in the sky and the fields are shrouded in darkness. Red fog began filling up the atmosphere and the air reeks of blood stench.

Siena: Kira, is that the smell of blood?
Kira: Yes, and I have a bad feeling about this.

The human corpses started melting into blood red substances and began merging. The red substances converged and transformed into a gigantic humanoid monster with red skin and horns protruding out from each side of its head. The summoning ritual has completed and the gigantic monster began walking towards the large rock formation which Kira and Siena are hiding.

Siena: Kira, the gigantic red monster and the cultists are walking towards our direction!
Kira: Sister Siena, I am sorry to say this but we are completely outnumbered. Are your legs feeling better and good for a run?
Siena: My legs are still tired from the long journey earlier but I do not think we have a choice.
Kira: You are right. We better start running .. like .. RIGHT NOW!

Kira grabbed Siena's hand and started running away from the large rock formation as the gigantic red monster swing its claws, blowing it up into bits and pieces. The gigantic red monster and the cultists continued to pursue the pair.

Siena: Kira, where do we go and what should we do now?
Kira: Keep running! Over there, into the woods we go!

Kira and Siena ran into a nearby forest, hoping to shake off the gigantic red monster and cultists in pursuit. After running in the forest for quite some time, the pair began to slow down and stopped running.

Siena: *Panting* Kira .. *Panting* I cannot .. *Panting* run anymore ..
Kira: *Panting* I think .. *Panting* This is as far as .. *Panting* I can go too.

Shortly after Kira and Siena caught their breath, light and heavy footsteps can be heard again in the distance.

Siena: Kira .. They are coming.
Kira: You can run but you cannot hide eh? Sounds like we will have to face them in a real fight. Brace yourself Sister Siena, this is not going to be pleasant.

Kira drew out his blades while positioning himself behind a tree. Siena took out a scepter from her bag and hid behind another tree. The cultists arrived at their location and started searching around for them.

Kira: SHADOW STRIKE!
Siena: HOLY BOLT!

In a split second, Kira managed to whizz past three cultists and took them down. One cultist got struck by Siena's attack attempt and got knocked down onto the ground unharmed. The fight attempt alerted other nearby cultists and they started charging towards Siena's direction while wielding daggers.

Cultist: There they are my brothers! For the Blood Lord!
Kira: ANTI MAGIC KI!

Kira's following attack managed to whizz past and took down another 3 cultists.

Siena: Kira, watch out! Behind you!
Kira: SHADOW MIST!

Kira swapped position with another attacking cultist in time and made the cultists stab each other. As of this point, eight cultists were already taken out by Kira alone. Hunger and fatigue is starting to affect Kira's combat performance while there are still four more cultists and one monster left to deal with.

Cultist: Foolish mortal, you cannot stand against the power of the Blood Lord!
Kira: FLAMING BLADE OF THE SWALLOW!

As Kira is about to land a killing blow onto the cultist, a monstrous claw appeared and struck him in the guts. Kira was sent flying backwards against his will, his back crashing onto a tree with a loud 'thud', sliding down onto the ground with his belly cut wide open and blood spilling out freely.

Cultist: You are a fool to have come this far, mortal!
Kira: [Coughing Blood] Urgh .. urgh .. urgh ..
Siena: KIRA!~ NOOO!~

..............................................................................................................................

As my vision fades to darkness and my body turns cold, I am reminded of a few things.
My priestess friend Siena is in danger, surrounded by four cultists and a monster.
My search for the powerful mystic 'Ellis Quinn' is incomplete.
The cure for Akagi-sama can no longer be secured.
I am sorry Siena. I am sorry Akagi-sama. I have failed you.
May we meet again in our next life, perhaps in a peaceful setting.

Previous: Chapter 2 | Home Away From Home
Current: Chapter 3 | Journey to Khorban
Next: Chapter 4 | Picking Up The Pieces
Last edited by JeForceX on Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ashenwind

Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:12 am

Yess!! A cliffhanger!
Always a good part to place 'to be continued'.

For a priestess, Siena sure has a youthful imagination, doesn't she? 8-)

JeForceX
Topic Author

Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:09 am

Yess!! A cliffhanger!
Always a good part to place 'to be continued'.

For a priestess, Siena sure has a youthful imagination, doesn't she? 8-)
Cliffhangers are awesome and make you want to come back for more! :)
There is a saying that goes: "The more you restrict yourself from something, the more you desire for it." 8-)

freydom

Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:52 am

Nice chapter JeforceX! 
I especially like the dialogues/ character building between Siena and Kira  :)
Perhaps Siena magical healing abilities will be showcased next? 
Looking forward to your next chapter!!