Gabrant
Topic Author

[FAN FICTION] CRIMSON SONATA

Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:06 am

CRIMSON SONATA
Crimson Sonata follows the story of Takesawa Inuki, a young man commonly classified by society as a NEET (Not in Education, Employment, or Training), as he is mysteriously transported to an unknown world where dark forces and legendary heroes known as Valiants clash. There he meets Faye Lockhart, a travelling knight in search of clues to her murky past. Joined by other familiar characters from Valiant Force, our reluctant hero struggles to find a way to return to his home world. What fate awaits Inuki?

TABLE OF CONTENTS
0 - PROLOGUE
1 - DEER IN THE HEADLIGHTS

PROLOGUE

The moon was bright and full that night, and the sky, filled with stars, spread out into its cobalt curtain like diamonds. She would never forget this sight. In fact, it was the only thing she could recall when asked about the tragedy that befall her village that fateful night.

The heat around them was bearable, yet the flames, hissing and spitting, continued to engulf the house of Old Beth, the village midwife. It was only a moment ago when the little girl and her parents sought refuge in the old maid's quarters after fleeing their own wrecked and burning house. Now outside, they had nowhere else to go.

In the background, black-hooded bandits on horses torched the remaining houses. Cries for help abound, but she heard none of them. Everything was far too unreal. This cannot be happening, she thought to herself. Mother will fix this. She can make it all go away! But even as she incessantly repeated those words in her head, she knew her mother could not save them. She was in dire condition, a stray arrow having wounded her left side.

"Leave me be," said the girl's mother. The orange light of the fires illuminated her face. She looked so weak, unlike her usual energetic self. "Run and never look back! The gods know I will not make it far, but you can still make it out of here."

"Do not speak nonsense, dear. I will not leave you alone," said the father to his wife.

"No. Take our daughter and go!" she pleaded. "If you don't, we will all perish. The royal knights will be on their way soon."

"To hell with the knights! Where were they when those bandits lit our house on fire? My brother is dead and our friends likely met the same fate in the hands of those bastards!"

The girl's mother did not say another word but only gently touched her husband's arm and pulled her daughter close to her. She was telling him not to be unreasonable and to think of their little girl. The two of them are both crying now for they knew she was right. Even at the tender age of eight, the girl understood that she will never see her mother again. With this she began to cry harder, her wails louder than the sound of crackling flames.

"GAAAAAAAOOOOHHHH!" An earsplitting beastly shriek broke the huddle.

"You two must go," said Old Beth urgently. "The gryphon is back."

"But what about you, Abuela?" the girl finally said. She had held her tongue all this time. Abuela was their village's word for grandmother, and though unrelated by blood, the girl loved the old woman dearly. She did not know it at the time, but the old-timer was the one who had helped bring her out into the world when her mother was in labor.

"I am sorry, child," replied the old woman. "My bones are weak and frail. I cannot run away with you. Let me stay with your mother. It will be like old times." She turned to the husband and looked him firmly in the eyes. "Protect her with all your strength. Go! Now!"

Without a moment to spare, he kissed his wife for the last time. Then, he took her crying daughter in his arms and sprinted towards the village gates as fast as he could, all the while avoiding the masses of brick and wood as houses toppled over from wreckage. All around them, villagers screamed and scrambled wildly to gey away from the bandits.

"Mother! Abuela!" cried the girl, her crimson hair flying as her father carried her away.

"GAAAAAAAOOOOHHHH!" A winged creature with an eagle's beak and two sharp, ebony horns landed on the spot where her mother and Abuela were situated with an audible crunch. The gryphon, with its bluish plumage, proceeded to tear their bodies apart with its large beak. A metal chain link was placed around its neck, seemingly glowing a bright shade of tangerine as it caught the light from the burning debris of houses. In that moment, everything was engulfed in silence for the girl. She stretched out her arms towards her mother and tried to scream, but she could not utter a single word.

"Curse the gods! Curse the Great War!" the father cried as he continued to run. With all army focused on the war, there was no one left to keep the people of the Kingdom safe from bandits and other evils. The black-hooded men saw tonight as the opportune time to sack the village for gold and women. "Where are the knights!? Somebody, help! H-help--!"

His words were abruptly put to a halt when an arrow hit him squarely in the right eye. The two fell on the hard ground.

"You won't be needing that eye where you're going," said a loud voice. A man dressed in black came up to them riding a brown stallion. "Oh? What do we have here?"

The girl felt her body tense as the bandit got off of his horse and walked closer to her. Without a doubt, she knew her father had perished and that she would be next. That is, if the man did not play with her body first. Tears streamed down her cheeks as she clung to her father's body. This was the end for her, she thought. She looked up and saw the bright moon in the sky -- an ironic view as its beautiful glow contrasted the vile massacre of her village.

"You are mine, little girl," said the man who has started to untie the knot of cloth that held his ragged pants in place. "I'm going to have a little fun with you. Come over here--!"

The bandit did not get the chance to finish his sentence. A long and shiny blade went through his chest and was quickly retracted as soon as it had stabbed him. The man dropped dead with a thud, revealing a figure of a woman clad in heavy armor behind. She flicked her sword to rid of the bandit's blood and sheathed it back in her side.

"You are safe now, child. The royal knights have come," said the woman. Her face was sweaty, beads of water caused by the heat and her rushing to the scene. Her long, dark hair was braided and unceremoniously tucked inside her helm. "Even though we came as fast as we could, it seems we are too late."

The lady paladin looked at the girl and then to her father. A great sadness overcame her. She did not make it in time. The little girl dashed to her bossom and wrapped her arms around her savior. She cried and cried until she lost consciousness, the night's ordeal proving too much for her innocent soul.

"I'm sorry you had to go through this. You are safe now."

------------------------------------------------------------

She awoke abruptly, gasping for air as if she had long been underwater. She had dreamed of a bright full moon and glistening stars, yet it had scared her so. It has been ten years since Lady Milfune had adopted her. She was given food and shelter, but still there is something missing, something she had lost -- her memories.

Now a knight herself, she travels all over Arathos in search of her identity and clues to what happened on that night when the moon was full and bright.

END OF PROLOGUE

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Hello, fellow Valiants! This is Gabrant with my first fan fiction for Valiant Force! Did you guess who the main character was? I hope it wasn't too obvious in the first part of the prologue. Anyway, I have a lot of plans for this story, including a story concept which I will introduce in the next chapter. I won't write a summary yet as I want to experiment on the coming chapters. Besides, writing summaries is not really my strong point. Please tell me what you think of the story. I hope it wasn't too gory for you. :) Thanks for reading!

Gabrant

EDIT: I have added a short synopsis to the story plus a table of contents. Reading the synopsis alone would already hint at who the main protagonists are. I also added an image to the chapter as reference. :)
Last edited by Gabrant on Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 7 times in total.

ashenwind

Re: [FAN FICTION] CRIMSON SONATA

Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:57 am

This little girl.. she is Faye, isn't it?

Gabrant
Topic Author

Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:08 pm

This little girl.. she is Faye, isn't it?
Hello there. :) Thank you for reading! Yes, you are correct. I guess it was kind of telling hehe. I know it's long for a prologue lol. I based the incident from her in-game history in the gallery.

ashenwind

Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:23 pm

It's not that long. Well, for me at least. :D

We finally get to know this lady paladin who saved her, even if it's just her name for now.

Anyway, welcome to the fan section! I do hope your stay here will be fulfilling and fun for the least. ;)

JeForceX

Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:14 pm

When 'red hair' was first mentioned, I was thinking about 'Scarlett'.
If you read her biography, her home village was also attacked when she was young.
Well, she is a knight as well, just 3* potential only though.

Seems like F-chan also shares the same fate in this fan fiction eh?
I would love to undo my pants onto F-chan, as a fully grown adult, and happily married to me of course.

Great work of fan fiction and keep up the good work!

Gabrant
Topic Author

Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:30 am

It's not that long. Well, for me at least. :D

We finally get to know this lady paladin who saved her, even if it's just her name for now.

Anyway, welcome to the fan section! I do hope your stay here will be fulfilling and fun for the least. ;)
Thanks. I've been stalking the Fan Works section anonymously for quite some time so I thought I should also post one of my own. :)
When 'red hair' was first mentioned, I was thinking about 'Scarlett'.
If you read her biography, her home village was also attacked when she was young.
Well, she is a knight as well, just 3* potential only though.

Seems like F-chan also shares the same fate in this fan fiction eh?
I would love to undo my pants onto F-chan, as a fully grown adult, and happily married to me of course.

Great work of fan fiction and keep up the good work!
Haha Faye is really popular. I Initially intended to use just 3* heroes as characters but decided that it would be best to focus on one character first as this is my first VF fan fiction. Wow, I must have missed that part about Scarlett! Good catch. At least it didn't give away the girl's identity right off the bat even though I thought I wrote it obvious. (Phew.)

Yeah, it's better to get married first before you undo pants. Lol. Thank you for your feedback! I'm also looking forward to the next chapter of Pathway to Darkness!

JeForceX

Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:04 am

Yeah, it's better to get married first before you undo pants. Lol. Thank you for your feedback! I'm also looking forward to the next chapter of Pathway to Darkness!
F-chan is scheduled to make an appearance and play a very important role in Pathway to Darkness.
Do look forward to it! :)

Gabrant
Topic Author

Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:55 am

CRIMSON SONATA
Crimson Sonata follows the story of Takesawa Inuki, a young man commonly classified by society as a NEET (Not in Education, Employment, or Training), as he is mysteriously transported to an unknown world where dark forces and legendary heroes known as Valiants clash. There he meets Faye Lockhart, a travelling knight in search of clues to her murky past. Joined by other familiar characters from Valiant Force, our reluctant hero struggles to find a way to return to his home world. What fate awaits Inuki?

TABLE OF CONTENTS
0 - PROLOGUE
1 - DEER IN THE HEADLIGHTS

CHAPTER 1 - DEER IN THE HEADLIGHTS

When Takesawa Inuki picked up a can of pork and beans at the local convenience store, he had no way of knowing that he would be getting more than what he bargained for.

He wore a dark colored jacket and a pair of comfy, knitted gloves his grandmother sent him as Christmas gift a week ago. He briefly glanced at the store clerk and saw the same bored yet polite expression on her face. The lonely can of preserved beans looked severely out of place in his hands. Inuki frowned as he reluctantly gave the item to the clerk so she could scan the barcode on the register. Pork and beans -- it was all he could afford. He normally bought instant curry ramen and the usual wasabi flavored potato chips, but he was running a little low on funds.

"Would this be all, sir?" the store clerk asked in her monotonous voice.

"Yes, please." Somehow he just knew that the clerk was silently judging him. Who buys pork and beans at 3 AM? He could almost hear her say the words themselves.

He had spent the whole day hunched over his computer in his apartment playing Final Symphonia, an MMORPG that's getting popular recently. He decided to get out of the room to buy something to eat after his guild managed to conquer the enemy fortress. It was barely a win. During the last seconds before the raid timer ran out, Inuki’s swordsman avatar luckily got past the sentinels, grabbing the enemy guild trophy and assuring their victory for this week's raid.

With a plastic bag in one hand, Inuki opened the store door to leave, causing the bell above it to tinkle for a few seconds. Although it was nearly 3 o’clock in the morning, a good number of people could still be seen loitering outside which is not uncommon in a place such as downtown Shibuya near the train station. He really didn't care much for the place; he'd rather stay holed up in his room, making as little human contact as possible. He could see his breath rise up in the air as he walked back to his apartment a couple of blocks away, leaving footprints on the snow as he did.

Inuki supposed that he ought to get at least a part-time job so that he could afford healthier food. This way he wouldn’t have to depend on his folks to send money anymore. The twenty-year old shut-in dropped out of university a little over two years ago without the knowledge of his parents, locking himself up in his room and turning to video games and anime for solace. He would rather live in a fantasy world than this place. Yes, a part-time job.

But then I would have less time to play Final Symphonia, he thought to himself.

To be truthful, Inuki actually still has enough money for at least two more weeks of instant ramen and chips. It's just that he wouldn’t be able to top up his premium if he spent the money on food. Canned pork and beans is enough. Besides, he still has leftover rice from the night before.

He was almost along his home street and was just about to turn left when a stranger bumped into him. The force of the collision caused Inuki to topple back, dropping his plastic bag in the process. The man had a thick beard and wore a shabby looking sweater the color of ripe olives.

Instead of stopping to apologize, however, the man quickly walked away as if nothing happened. Inuki thought it was just the usual jerk that people occasionally meet out in the streets, but then he realized that his pants somehow felt lighter. His stomach sank as he searched his pockets.

Inuki turned tail and ran as fast as his exercise deprived body could muster. As expected, his stamina was weak and beads of sweat quickly formed above his eyebrows as he pursued the man who, by that time, already had a couple of meters of a headstart.

“Hey, you! Stop!” Inuki regretted chasing after the thief as his lungs started to get the best of him.

“Hey! Give me back my wallet!”

He followed the man through a dark alley, past the back of an Italian restaurant which was oddly still open at the time. Inuki estimated the man to be in his early forties and was almost impressed that he could still run that fast. That is, if it wasn't for the fact that he might actually get away with his money.

The two eventually reached the end of the alley where it opened to a wider and more considerably lit street. Signage of varying sizes decorated both sides of the street. High above him, he could see a massive electronic billboard showing an anime commercial of a new hip chocolate drink.

The crossing was mostly deserted, save for some cars here and there. Still clutching his plastic bag, Inuki darted across, willing his legs to go even faster. In hindsight, he probably would have reached the other side if it wasn't for the loud blaring horn of a fast approaching vehicle.

In a doe-eyed state, Inuki was only able to turn just in time to see a set of bright, yellow headlights coming his way. Those and a vague silhouette of a girl holding what appears to be a long staff.

He was floating, floating. The water felt warm on his skin as he slowly drifted in a small pond. For a moment, he wished he could float forever.

"Is this how it feels like to be dead?"

Inuki opened his eyes and saw white clouds on a sheet of light blue. This is definitely better than snow, he thought to himself. In fact, it was getting a little warm as he lay floating with his jacket on. He was enjoying the moment when he suddenly remembered the loud horn of a blue truck and its blinding headlights. Panic came over him, causing him to splash around and sink underwater. He didn't know how to swim.

After a little flailing and a lot of struggling, Inuki finally managed to get to the edge of the pond. Spitting water on the side, he was able to see his surroundings for the first time.

Trees and more trees dominated the area, suggesting that he was inside a forest of some sort. What made him gape in disbelief was the color of the leaves -- they were as pink as flamingos, pinker than any sakura flower he has ever seen. And no, Inuki never for a second thought that he was still in downtown Shibuya.

"Where the heck am I?"

END OF CHAPTER 1

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Hi. Chapter 1 is out! In this chapter, we are introduced to the main male protagonist of the story. I wanted an original character to be introduced into the Valiant Force lore for its flexibility when it comes to telling a story. I will still use most of the in-game backstory as reference for each scenes though. Inuki will just be an audience who may or may not play a pivotal role in the future. Who knows? Thanks for reading!

P. S. Do you happen to have any clues to the name of the place where Inuki woke up in? :)

Gabrant

ashenwind

Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:30 pm

ohhh.. an isekai type of story, I rarely seen this type of approach :)

He woke up in the coral woods I think? I may have forgotten if it's mentioned in the main story dialogue, and the map pre-words didn't mention anything about it, but it's the only area with pinkish trees as its map icon..

On a sides note, probably a dilemma torturing most online gamers in the world from time to time when they are short on money: to use the money to get something eat, or to use the money to play :lol:

SoranoKanjoo

Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:29 pm

Finally got a chance to read this story. 

I'm not good at spotting grammar mistakes, so I can't help you with that.

The plot itself is interesting enough, as it managed to make me read all the way to the end. I'm also intrigued on how it will unfold. 

I guess I'd seen a lot of "main-character-transported-into-a-different-world" that makes it average for me, but I rather read the whole thing before I make judgement.

I'll be waiting for the next update.