Piyuyu
Topic Author

[Guide] Sven-Matilda Trigger Team - Turning Matilda into a range powerhouse [INVALID]

Wed May 10, 2017 12:31 am

With the Sven nerf, this guide is outdated and many of its information becomes incorrect. Most importantly, this trigger team will no longer work as intended. 

I. Introduction

I believe most of you would have gotten Matilda in the previous event and now she is sitting in your hero pool, dumped aside because she doesn’t really fit into your arena or raid team.

Before we start, let’s take a look at this screenshot:

Yup. This is a screenshot taken midway through a battle. This is how high I manage to get her ATK to. With her potential to synergize with Sven for additional triggers, Matilda can be a strong viable range powerhouse in PVE.

Hi everyone,

My name is Piyuyu from Everglades server. I’m here to share with you a possible and alternative trigger team for PVE setting that I have been experimenting a few weeks back with the release of Matilda. The focus will be on Matilda Spirit Walker.

With my current heroes’ stats, I am able to deal around consistent 2.3 m raid dmg (no att pots)  to the 1st three bosses and around 3 m raid dmg on boss 2 and 3 (with att pots), using this team. (For boss 3, my dmg history is based on raid 1.0 and it clocked around 2.6 m, with raid 2.0, I’m confident I can hit > 3 m in phase 1, I manage to hit 3.9 m on legendary, phase 1) Minimum healing pots required due to the healing nature of the team.

Raid 2.0 - Cyclops Dmg dealt with Sven-Matilda Trigger Team

Guide Creation: 8/5/2017
Guide Updated: 13/5/2017 - minor updates on raid dmg, Shizu setup.

Disclaimer:
A little caveat here,I have been testing this sven-matilda team and a double sven zerker team. For some reasons, I find myself not dealing the same amount of dmg as compared with my guild mates double sven zerker setup, which led me to finding an alternative build. Based on “theory”, the double sven zerker setup should out dmg this sven-matilda team. But throughout my testing, I continue to come out with better and better raid dmg, sometimes on par, if not surpassing my double sven zerkers raid run. If you are already doing well with your double sven zerkers run, then I doubt this this guide is going to change anything. For those who continue to read on, just keep an open mind. Even if it doesn’t work for you, perhaps one day, with the release of new heroes and aura, this team setup may shine.

I also realise this guide may come a little late. With new summoners to be released and Valiant revamp, I'm not sure whether this trigger team will actually be useful to anyone. We shall see. 

II. A little History

I was more than excited when Matilda came out. But this excitement was born from a mistake in reading the aura of Matilda Spirit Walker. Here’s what her SW aura reads:

Matilda Spirit Walker aura (http://db-valiants.rhcloud.com/en/)

I mistook the “their” to be other heroes’ atk. So I was thinking, if Matilda attack with 120% of Sven’s or any other Zerker’s attack, isn’t that crazy? But sadly, after spending the 1st day building her, I realise that her aura should read:

• When Others in Aura gets healed, there is a 40% chance to:Trigger this Hero to attack with 120% of her ATK.

I believe someone has highlighted about how the aura should be read in the forum before but I wasn’t paying attention. Furthermore, this aura is not new. Some healers have this set of aura too, just that the att % is much lower. If this aura had already existed, probably someone would have thought of a trigger build around this. Well, mistakes were made, why not just test it out? 

III. Basic Concept of the Sven-Matilda Trigger (SMT)

First, let’s look at the squad and aura direction setup of the basic concept of this particular trigger:
Let’s look at the aura of Sven Zerker and Matilda SW: 

Sven Zerker:
  • When Others in Aura attack, there is a 40% chance to: Trigger This Hero & Pet to attack with 80% of their ATK.

Matilda SW:

• When Others in Aura gets healed, there is a 40% chance to: Trigger this Hero to attack with 120% of her  ATK.

The idea is to get Sven to heal up every time he attacks. This is achievable by 

1. Equipping him with a vampire rune. 
  2. Have a lifesteal aura slave, in my case, above him that provides healing every time he attacks.

Here’s how my squad with Darrion looks like: 

So basically a lifesteal aura would read something like:
  • Persistent: Attacks of Everyone in aura will also heal for xx% of damage dealt.

Heroes with such aura are: Darrion BK, Leon Zealot, Leon BK, Drake Gladiator, Miu Samurai.

With this setup, when Sven attacks, it can trigger the dragon to attack, and because of his healing, he can trigger Matilda to attack too. The dragon or Matilda attacking can trigger back Sven to attack again. And this is where the trigger loop comes in. 

IV. Problem

Here comes the problem with such a setup:

While the trigger makes sense and provide a good loop, Matilda dmg is relatively low, even with 120% of her ATK. With her angel summon, it can boost her ATK up by 40% of her MAG. 

Matilda Spirit Walker's pet aura (http://db-valiants.rhcloud.com/en/)

However, this is also not an ideal dmg because her primary stat is still MAG.

• Ares faith:, her max attack at +2 is 2781. When Angel is summoned, she will have 4095 attack.
  • Athena faith: her max attack at +2 is 2130. When Angel is summoned, she will have 3834 attack.

Her ATK is way below 10k. Which makes this setup pale in comparison with a double sven zerker setup. (When you choose an ally Zerker, you choose one that is like at least 10 k or more right?)

I thought I can compensate for the low Matilda’s dmg with more triggers from the Sven zerker in front. But when I first tested this up in raid, I was really disappointed by how low the overall dmg is. I thought I had something going here, but that was not the case.

One probably has to invest in really good equipment and runes to get her attack up really high. In that sense, it would probably be better to invest on other heroes who were originally meant for dealing high dmg. Why not just stick to a double Sven zerker setup??

Anyway, I continue to play around this setup, and came up with a solution to boost her ATK/dmg. 

V. Turning the Healer into a viable Damage Dealer

The solution is: Sven Warlord.

Let’s look at Sven’s WL and his pet aura + skill:

Sven WL’s skill and aura (http://db-valiants.rhcloud.com/en/)

Sven WL's pet skill and aura (http://db-valiants.rhcloud.com/en/)

With Sven Warlord’s aura and his dragon skill. The ATK boost given to Matilda can hit > 10k at certain point of raid.

This significantly ramps her dmg, and with all the triggers, Matilda becomes much more viable than before. 

When Sven WL summoned his dragon, it is placed above Matilda and beside Darrion’s lifesteal aura. This allows for possible additional trigger when dragon attacks. Each time, Matilda’s angel attack, it will heal the party for a small amount of HP. This could also potentially set up more trigger. Not to mention that when the angel uses her skill, it will heal the party at the beginning of the turn, setting up another possible trigger.

To summarise the possible triggers with this formati are:
  1. Sven attack can trigger Matilda to attack (because of the lifesteal) and also trigger dragon to attack. This leads to #2 and #3
  2. Matilda’s attack can trigger Sven to attack which brings us back to #1
  3. Dragon attack can trigger Sven to attack which brings us back to #1
  4. Aura Slave attack can trigger Sven to attack which brings us back to # 1
  5. Sven WL dragon can trigger (due to lifesteal aura) Matilda to attack. Loop back to # 2
  6. Matilda’s angel can trigger Matilda to attack when angel attacks. (Heal per attack) Back to #2
  7. Matilda’s angel can trigger Matilda to attack after activating her skill. (Heal per round) Back to #2

VI. The Final Problem: - The fifth hero slot

For my squad formation,

who is the best hero for the last hero slot that has an aura that could potentially add more to the trigger. For me, this hero hasn’t been created yet. Ideally, the hero’s aura would read: 
  • When Others in Aura attack, 
  • Heal This Hero for a xx% of Hero’s <stat>.

Placed directly below Matilda and with aura facing Sven Zerker’s dragon. The potential triggering for this setup will increase greatly. (SO DEV, IF YOU ARE READING THIS POST, PLEASE CREATE A HERO WITH SUCH AN AURA)

There are a few potential heroes for the final slot:

• Cybella Gunslinger / Grand Ranger, Kane Grand Ranger / Gunslinger. 
  • Their aura has a high chance to trigger both dragon and Matilda to attack when they land a critical hit.
  • To be honest here, I had only tried this a few times but to little success. This is because my Cybella and Kane are too paper thin, and their CRIT are not high enough. In raid, especially for the 2nd boss, they can get shred to pieces. Potentially should work for the 3rd boss… I did not really try it out because I used Faye for the final slot to counter charm.

• Healer: Lucille, Teresa, Luthor (Inquisitor/Archbishop)
  • I personally have not tried the different healers except Teresa Inquisitor which heals everyone in the aura at the beginning of every turn. The skill from some of this healers can also trigger Matilda to attack. The downside is the healing skills have long cool down before activation. Their cooldown timer also coincides with the angel’s cooldown. (Around 7 turns) You probably don’t want to use them together to avoid over healing. And of course, the healers do not constitute much dmg as compared to the archers. The upside is, it’s hard to kill off your party. Less use of healing pots.

• Guardian: Faye
  • I use this mainly in raid 3 to provide a shield so that charm doesn’t affect the party. I may not have to use her once my mystic tower is max. Other than that she does not contribute anything to the current setup.  My mystic tower is finally ready and with the extra magic from the ally, the tree is unable to charm me, allowing me use someone else for the 5th hero slot.

• Mystic, Champion and Shadow
  • I have not extensively tested the other 3 classes at all. So I can’t comment much. These are the heroes I tested:

• Ronan: The extra drop in def is nice, but the problem is the additional delay due to the animation of the triggers. Every trigger can caused him to use his def down trigger. It slows down the battle too much. So if I use him, I will not put him below Matilda.

• Recently, I tried adding Shizu Samurai as an aura slave, 
  • This is her aura: When Others in Aura attack, there is a 30% chance to: Trigger Others in aura to attack with 85% of their ATK.
  • Her skill can lower def of enemy by 35% provided if it doesn’t get resist. The dmg does goes up by 10 % more when compared to using Cybella Gunslinger for my 5th hero slot. Adding her gives additional triggers, going > 10. When Sven Zerker and Matilda's ATK is at their max, the additional triggers really help. I think Shizu Samurai will be my permanent go to 5th hero for this setup. 

VII. Aura Constraints

I understand that not everyone would have the same aura setup as mine. So if your lifesteal aura slave is in the opposite direction. You could rearrange the squad formation to be like this.

I’m quite sure there are other potential ways you can rearrange the setup to achieve the same effect.

VIII. Closure

Thank you so much for reading my humble guide. As I know of none other that is testing this setup, I cannot guarantee the results would be the same as I had. One thing to note is, although the trigger rate is decent during raid, her dmg does take time to ramp up. I shall share more details in the reference session soon. I think the most important thing is to experiment and find a setup (with your hero pool) that works for you. I highly do not recommend you pump all your resources to Matilda hoping to strike gold. I do suggest you try her out and understand how it all works first. If there is any resources pumping, it would be on Sven and the archers.

For me, there’s a sense of satisfaction when I see Matilda chipping the boss at > 11k dmg continuously with the triggers.

I will be posting my heroes' stats, raid dmg etc. for referencing purposes in the near future. Feel free to comment and leave suggestions on my setup. If you get this running, share with me your success or failure story. I could potentially write a guide on how I run boss 2 and 3 with this setup if there is a demand for it.
Last edited by Piyuyu on Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Piyuyu
Topic Author

Re: [Guide] Sven-Matilda Trigger Team - Turning Matilda into a range powerhouse

Wed May 10, 2017 12:32 am

Reserved for stats and other references.

Rain
Official Member
Official Member

Wed May 10, 2017 1:43 am

Thanks for the guide!
Could be better if you placed your Sven Warlord below Matilda SW, because he can buff her and Sven Berserker's Wyvern.
Yeah, too bad the aura didn't goes up and front.

I created similar theoritical version of these using Matilda SW, but it's mixed with SDD Drake.
Never practiced it on a real battle.

---

Actually you can change Leon into another lifesteal hero, but since he is our "Main Character" and everyone should have it.

Kahuna gives his aura to Drake
Drake... didn't really matter
Leon gives his aura to Drake and Wyvern
Matilda gives her aura to Drake and Wyvern
Sven gives his aura to Wyvern and Spectral

All of this phase takes time on each turn.

1st phase
Make Drake and Wyvern to attack their enemies, until the triggers came off.
While they doing that, it triggers Matilda to attack as well, because they got healed from the Leon's aura.

2nd phase
At this phase, your Drake and Wyvern cannot attack anymore, because they used their phase. Now this is the time for Spectral to attack.
While she doing that, it has chance to triggers Drake, Wyvern and Matilda to attack again.
Because back to 1st phase, you know what it is.

3rd phase
At this phase, Drake-Wyvern-Pet cannot attack anymore.
Just use Leon, Kahuna, and Matilda whatever you want, to end the turn.

---

It's just a theory tho, because I had some free time.
And I don't planning to upgrade Matilda for now, aaaand my Sven aura didn't point to top.

Munilet

Wed May 10, 2017 2:14 am

Wow, awesome work..
I haven't seen well written Guide like this since Mikan quit..
Are you Mikan successor?
XD

Anyway, thank you so much for this great Build..
When many people choose Matilda WD in their Raid Team, you choose her SW Role instead..
And you playing​ around with it, finding the optimal way to make her more viable -I think it's awesome..

If you don't mind, can you please add me as in game friend?
This is my pId and IGN
pjncff - Munilet

Piyuyu
Topic Author

Wed May 10, 2017 8:10 am

Thanks for the guide!
Could be better if you placed your Sven Warlord below Matilda SW, because he can buff her and Sven Berserker's Wyvern.
Yeah, too bad the aura didn't goes up and front.

I created similar theoritical version of these using Matilda SW, but it's mixed with SDD Drake.
Never practiced it on a real battle.

---

Actually you can change Leon into another lifesteal hero, but since he is our "Main Character" and everyone should have it.

Kahuna gives his aura to Drake
Drake... didn't really matter
Leon gives his aura to Drake and Wyvern
Matilda gives her aura to Drake and Wyvern
Sven gives his aura to Wyvern and Spectral

All of this phase takes time on each turn.

1st phase
Make Drake and Wyvern to attack their enemies, until the triggers came off.
While they doing that, it triggers Matilda to attack as well, because they got healed from the Leon's aura.

2nd phase
At this phase, your Drake and Wyvern cannot attack anymore, because they used their phase. Now this is the time for Spectral to attack.
While she doing that, it has chance to triggers Drake, Wyvern and Matilda to attack again.
Because back to 1st phase, you know what it is.

3rd phase
At this phase, Drake-Wyvern-Pet cannot attack anymore.
Just use Leon, Kahuna, and Matilda whatever you want, to end the turn.

---

It's just a theory tho, because I had some free time.
And I don't planning to upgrade Matilda for now, aaaand my Sven aura didn't point to top.
Hi Rain, 
Thanks for your comment and sharing your alternative setup for Drake. Definitely worth a try.

Your suggestion to put Sven WL below Matilda is a great one. There's definitely aura constraint for my Sven WL but I can work around. I'm just thinking, why didn't I think of it? LOL. The other reason why my Sven WL is at the back is mainly becos for raid boss 2 and 3, he will be helping to clear the minions behind. For boss 4, I definitely see a possibility of putting your solution to a test.

I would say this trigger team is rather niche. So I doubt many people would be willing to upgrade their Matilda just to test if it works. With Valiant revamps and new summoner heroes coming soon, this guide may become obsolete in 1-2 weeks time. But who knows right?

Piyuyu
Topic Author

Wed May 10, 2017 8:22 am

Wow, awesome work..
I haven't seen well written Guide like this since Mikan quit..
Are you Mikan successor?
XD

Anyway, thank you so much for this great Build..
When many people choose Matilda WD in their Raid Team, you choose her SW Role instead..
And you playing around with it, finding the optimal way to make her more viable -I think it's awesome..

If you don't mind, can you please add me as in game friend?
This is my pId and IGN
pjncff - Munilet
Hi Munilet,
Thank you for your comment. I am honored by your compliment.
I pale in comparison to Mikan. However, I must admit that I was inspired by him to come out with setup / guide. Mikan took heroes that seemed underrated and came out with interesting ways to use them. I'm quite sure this inspired many others to experiment new squad as well.
I haven't get a Matilda WD up and running yet, but I'm definitely not counting her out too.
I have added you as a friend! Cheers!

jcquinto1

Mon May 15, 2017 10:40 am

Awesome idea! TBH this was my original plan when I got my first Matilda. Auras didn't connect and damage output isn't great for me. So I changed the setup to dual zerk sven plus samurai Kai.
Glad to see someone testing out a potentially great combo.
Great guide!
Cheers!

ashenwind

Mon May 15, 2017 3:08 pm

I actually used my SW Matilda as a faith reroll fodder... Blame me (and my GR Kane. I rerolled him more than 5 times before I used Matilda and he finally gave up and change into Hera), I was desperate back then, don't have any strong healer equip that can put on her, and the SW faith was less appealing (Hera).

Good things that I still have 2 of her waiting to be raised.

That aside, I want to share one funny thing I know about Matilda SW before I had to stop using her. It was from back when she's first introduced, and I didn't know if it's intended effect or bug, and neither that I know if it has been fixed (if it even considered a bug) or not.

If a unit within her aura is healed multiple instances at the same time, when she triggers her aura due to this unit, she may attack up to the amount of heal instance during that trigger. Example: Drake on vampire rune, with 2 lifesteal aura flanking him, and Matilda SW with aura pointing at him. When Drake attacks (3 heal instances), if she triggers due to Drake being healed, she may attack up to 3 times within that one trigger.

As I do not have an SW Matilda anymore, and new SW will take some time to raise (and I'm currently trying to raise her WD version first). I couldn't test it out again. If possible, I'm also interested if anyone can test this out and see if it's still there.

Piyuyu
Topic Author

Wed May 17, 2017 10:32 pm

Awesome idea! TBH this was my original plan when I got my first Matilda. Auras didn't connect and damage output isn't great for me. So I changed the setup to dual zerk sven plus samurai Kai.
Glad to see someone testing out a potentially great combo.
Great guide!
Cheers!
Hi jcquinto1, 

I'm glad I'm not alone with this idea. Yes, the output dmg isn't great for me at first, but it did get better. Alas, despite setting a personal record high on Treant (4.2 m). I feel that a SDD Drake + Matilda WD setup is much stronger and easier to execute.

Thanks for reading and cheers to you too! 

Have a fruitful journey in Arathos.

Piyuyu
Topic Author

Wed May 17, 2017 10:51 pm

I actually used my SW Matilda as a faith reroll fodder... Blame me (and my GR Kane. I rerolled him more than 5 times before I used Matilda and he finally gave up and change into Hera), I was desperate back then, don't have any strong healer equip that can put on her, and the SW faith was less appealing (Hera).

Good things that I still have 2 of her waiting to be raised.

That aside, I want to share one funny thing I know about Matilda SW before I had to stop using her. It was from back when she's first introduced, and I didn't know if it's intended effect or bug, and neither that I know if it has been fixed (if it even considered a bug) or not.

If a unit within her aura is healed multiple instances at the same time, when she triggers her aura due to this unit, she may attack up to the amount of heal instance during that trigger. Example: Drake on vampire rune, with 2 lifesteal aura flanking him, and Matilda SW with aura pointing at him. When Drake attacks (3 heal instances), if she triggers due to Drake being healed, she may attack up to 3 times within that one trigger.

As I do not have an SW Matilda anymore, and new SW will take some time to raise (and I'm currently trying to raise her WD version first). I couldn't test it out again. If possible, I'm also interested if anyone can test this out and see if it's still there.
Hi ashenwind, 

Congrats on finally getting a Hera Kane. Archers never die~ If you look at the top raiders, they have like 3 archers for triggers. I probably won't come out with this guide if I have 3 archers at max crit and strong eq.

And thanks for sharing the effect. I personally never pay attention to this. Shld observe again when the next raid season arrives, or if the event requires such a setup.
After trying out SDD Drake with Kahuna n Matilda WD, I would definitely say that a WD version is more useful now. I will continue to experiment and post new results. (if i have the time) Also hoping that in the near future the ideal 5th slot hero comes along.

Once again, thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts. Have a fruitful journey in Arathos!

Cheers!