Ferico
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Topic Author

A Very Simple Fix to #MakeMysticsGreatAgain

Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:56 pm

Let's be real on what Mystics should be capable of doing in any game and that is to cast a skill, cast another skill, cast a spell, then nuke with magic! So is that the case of mystics here in valiant force? in my personal and brutally honest opinion, it's a big fat NO. The real scenario? Shadows and Champions are the true spell-caster in Arathos with ridiculous low skill cooldown and amazing skill effects and that's what makes them more appealing to build.

As a mystic/mage fan in other MMORPGs, I have great faith that they will also be as decent here in Valiant force but sadly, developers fail to give them that decent role. Like in any other games, Mystics here in VF are NUKERS with high skill damage in cost of HIGH skill cooldown that leads to the very problem we are now facing - THEY ARE LITERALLY USELESS IN THE 1st-6th TURNS! They are just standing their holding their staves and whacking everyone with magic orbs based on their low ATK! What a way to make them very efficient!

Let's take the Valiant Kiera Elementalist for example, her current skill set-up is:
(6 Turn Cooldown) - Damage based on 180% MAG, 100% MAG burn for 2 turns, and 50% chance to stun enemies for 1 turn.

*That's a very long cool down isn't it? Monsters in PVE have lower skill cooldown and can even kill mystics before they can cast their spell! Not to mention archers in arena are proliferating and can even kill them in the 1st turn! So what's the use of fielding mystics in PVE and PVP when they could be that useless in the beginning? I dunno man, ask VF Devs.

So what do we do? Let's just divide that 6 turn cooldown and damage output into 3 skill usage and let's see

(2 Turn Cooldown) - Damage based on 60% MAG, 33% MAG burn for 1 turn, and 50% chance to stun enemies for 1 turn.

Then there we have it, a mystic that is constantly casting a skill for the same damage output! Hmmm i dunno why are we not doing this.

I have said this as well in this "Mystic is still the worst class in game" thread by Jaegar:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4120&start=20

I just feel that I need to say this in a separate thread to catch the attention of the developers. I think we are overdue to deserve a fitting role for the mystics. We are nearing the launch anniversary in November and I want to contribute and improve the current mechanics we have.

Thank you for reading this and I am opening discussions on how to improve this idea. 

duskaco
Official Member
Official Member

Re: A Very Simple Fix to #MakeMysticsGreatAgain

Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:01 am

While a good suggestion, there may be a problem with this is how magDef is calculated. Im not sure about magDef, but in Def, splitting your damage will drastically reduce damage dealt as each damage instance is affected by Def.

That being said, if Mag reduces magic damage by a percentage instead of a static value, then the suggestion is actually quite neat.

An alternate suggestion is that the skills has a mij cooldown and a max charge time. You can use your skills at 2 turns for repeated and quick usage, or you can save for up to 8 turns for a ridiculous burst. Using the Kiera example again.

Magic damage based on 60/80/100/120/150/180/210%Mag, burn ground for 20/40/60/80/90/100/100% Mag for 1/1/1/1/2/2/3 turns, and 50/50/50/50/100/100/100% chance to stun for 1/1/1/1/1/1/2 turns.
(2/3/4/5/6/7/8 turns).

It may be hard to implement though, and even harder to balance, but this does allow your mages to do a massive burst or constant dot, as well as allowing mages to use their skills almost any time.

Zayler
Official Member
Official Member

Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:37 am

I think the shorter CD with lower scaling would be more applicable for Healers to keep your team alive in PVE with frequent heals/shields.

Magic damage is reduced by percentage depending on some combination of MAG & DEF (exact formula unknown). So unlike physical damage which reduced by deducting DEF, adding more instances by reducing the CD and multipliers for mystics should not affect the total damage dealt in the long run.

Even with the suggested changes, i still think that the amount of damage they do would not be enough to justify using a mystic in place of a ranger/shadow/champion. I do like your idea of having more frequent skill effects like more chances to stun/burn with lower CD. Maybe the Devs can consider making mystics into a more "field disruption" class or "crowd control" class instead of brute force.

Of course there can be some exceptions with a few pure damage magic nukers but i think the devs need to re-focus the role of each class instead on just focusing only on pure damage. This way, each class will actually be unique and it'll help with the current full-class meta (4-5 ranger, 4-5 guardian, 3-4 champion, etc)

Silmeria

Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:14 pm

I believe most mystics' skill have another effect aside of damage, so reducing cool down would greatly increase their usefulness.
...But !
Some mystics would become too powerful like Warlock Zoey who can freeze cross area and Talissa who can summon a pet. This idea is good but developer need to balance and rework on the whole mystic class altogether and I somehow think this is quite unlikely to be done.

And all of our ideas and input only proves how bad mystic's design from the very beginning. What's funny is that they keep releasing new heroes with new mechanic instead of fixing broken old heroes. Bravo !

The way I see the game is going is that the developers are going to focus on new heroes design rather than fixing the old heroes. Resulting in power creep in mystic and healer class. So... RIP Genesis Heroes, You will be missed.

Silmeria

Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:35 pm

Anyway still in relation to this topic, I think mystic and healers should have halved cool down in PvE.
This would greatly increase their utility in PvE.

Ferico
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Topic Author

Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:33 pm

I'm really glad we are still in the frontline to advocate our vision to have a decent mystics mechanics.

@duskako
That's a really neat idea! It could be a unique skill usage for the mystics having a charge bar (20%-100% depending on turns). I could see mystics and healers have this kind of set-up to use depending on the situation (e.g. an ally that is nearing death can be healed by a healer at the 2nd turn already for survivability and a mystic would opt to 100% charge his skill to kill a pesky guardian). I really believe this is a great alternative to the current system we have. Kudos!

@Zayler
I think the problem lies that most of the current squad formations rely on the deadly tirgger chances of archers in combination with the melee prowess of champions/shadows. Not to mention you can deal a lot of damages in 1 turn! But with the set-up I am suggesting, this opens to ideas of having a defensive-style formation where guardians/healers/mages can be a good PvE squad option

@Silmeria
Hi, there buddy! yes Zoey is a deadly mage in her own right as has a decent skill cooldown so I dont expect her to be affected by this. I might not have mentioned it but the set-up im suggesting is targeted towards the "usual" mages such as Zedd, Ronan, Ellis, and Kiera as they have the common mechanics of having high CDs and low damage output average in a turn. Talissa doesnt need changes to be honest. She is a summoner, and her mechanics is unique a 4 turn CD is justifiable. Taegen doesn't need one too as his is celestial form in 3 turns and a battle mage style of fighting. Yeah I agree that they are releasing heroes with different mechanics and I agree they should fix the old heroes I mentioned in bold.

duskaco
Official Member
Official Member

Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:42 pm

@OP, Not related to the topic, but thanks for actually acknowledging my reply. From my previous replies (look at Camelot Hero's, post 11, or old mystic thread), I feel that all my suggestions are simply invisible to everyone...

Jaeger
Official Member
Official Member

Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:48 pm

Let just be real at this point, Mystic is one of the victim from the main problem, the gameplay itself.

As most players probably already know, any characters with persistent aura (aside from lifesteal aura) are barely used outside of arena, even Sven Warlord who popular among summoner. Why? There're few problems here. 
- 10%-20% attack buff < attack multiple times in one turn, why is Freya Warlock more popular than other class? Trigger attack of course.
- Rotten core of PvE design where enemy RESIST EVERY KIND OF CC, and shorter skill cooldown but better than yours so, the story + event stage strategies are burst enemy down before they do, good luck doing that with mystic.
- MAG is the worst stat in the game, lowest growth rate, don't have any use outside of mystic and healer territory, other 3 damage dealer classes can get both good normal attack damage and skill damage, mystic stuck with only skill (long cooldown and not useful skill).

How to fix? I don't know anymore, feel like it already too late.

Ferico
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Topic Author

Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:05 am

Let just be real at this point, Mystic is one of the victim from the main problem, the gameplay itself.

As most players probably already know, any characters with persistent aura (aside from lifesteal aura) are barely used outside of arena, even Sven Warlord who popular among summoner. Why? There're few problems here. 
- 10%-20% attack buff < attack multiple times in one turn, why is Freya Warlock more popular than other class? Trigger attack of course.
- Rotten core of PvE design where enemy RESIST EVERY KIND OF CC, and shorter skill cooldown but better than yours so, the story + event stage strategies are burst enemy down before they do, good luck doing that with mystic.
- MAG is the worst stat in the game, lowest growth rate, don't have any use outside of mystic and healer territory, other 3 damage dealer classes can get both good normal attack damage and skill damage, mystic stuck with only skill (long cooldown and not useful skill).

How to fix? I don't know anymore, feel like it already too late.
It's kind of depressing to be honest. As much as Im starting to hate this game, part of me still wants to play this because of the gameplay. I dont event care about events anymore. I am starting to be inactive in arena. At this point, i just want to collect heroes, even if they are useless, just to level up them to 40. Im even building Zedd right now just for the sake of MLBing him.
It might be late as VF shifts their focus on those camelot heroes, which I think will further worsen the game,
I couldnt agree more that they are now introducing lots of PVE Monsters with lots of resistances in CC. What's the point of having CCs, Auras and buffs in the first place if only a handful of players can finish the master trials? Seriously, even TAUNT is resisted! This game is rotting, but I guess it's money gain is usually more important than feedback. I dont exactly know why Im still fighting for balance but I guess it's the only thing I can do for now.
Master trials are getting more difficult and the gacha rates have never been improved. This is the definition of being a masochist. 

Justinlyz
Official Member
Official Member

Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:09 am

These suggestions are great, for Zedd and Kiera.

But you conveniently ignored the fact that the new mystics are good, usable and effective in arena. (Ronan has no issues btw, he's still a monster in arena when players set him up nicely to protect him smartly)

If they implement these ideas, what happens to the other mystics you mentioned? Suddenly Kiera gets a 2 turn cd while Talissa is stuck on 4. Then let's make Talissa 2 turn as well? This kind of balancing only leads to more repercussions. It's no wonder no action isn't taken yet. One move leads to another and leads to more trouble.

If anything, this thread should be #makegenesismysticsgreatagain