MiloDinosaur
Valiant Administrator
Valiant Administrator

Re: Cassandra (Assassin) balance?

Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:30 pm

Hi there,

From a mod (player)'s point of view, I noticed that Cassassin is quite silly in the sense that she doesn't cast her skill as priority if she's unable to lock onto two targets at the same time. I noticed this by accident as I was using a Rhea Dragoon to play around and it caused my team to split into single positions.

What I suggest players can also try is to use heroes like Lancelord, Rhea Dragoon etc. basically heroes with movement capabilities.

Try to rearrange your squad midway through the battle to be in a vertical formations rather than horizontal ones. I think it will prevent Cassassin from casting her skill! :)

*I am not the most up to date with the arena metas btw! So correct me if I'm wrong*

Sn1v33

Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:57 pm

It makes me sad that the devs don't deem Cass assassin as OP.

Remarks aside, having to resort to breaking your aura formation just to prevent Cass skill already says a lot. The cost you have to pay just to prevent the death roulette subjects trigger teams on an even narrower time window(I like it, though), but most importantly mutes mystic teams who rely on empowering each other and can't do anything significant while their skills are on CD. Let's say you split your formation to a cross formation. That leaves the rest of Cassassin's team to freely take advantage of the holes such as summoning pet on a squishy's face, jumpers such as Freya/Rhea etc., as well as softening an already frail mystic (losing DEF auras from possibly 3 teammates at most).

Aside from gimmicks, which squad lineup does well versus Cassassin? If there is a hero whose skillset counters Cassassin, I'd like to know who with all respect.

Ferico
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:59 pm

I also send this topic to dev. some time ago, and they suggest to use hex team...WTF
Hahahaha this made my day! #HexSolvesEverythingApparently

Sn1v33

Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:20 pm

I also send this topic to dev. some time ago, and they suggest to use hex team...WTF
Hahahaha this made my day! #HexSolvesEverythingApparently
One of the mods was able to comment his "suggestion" but openly chose to ignore all valiant revamp suggestions, too. Really nigga? :)

Xinhuan

Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:00 pm

The mod actually is not wrong. One of the most effective ways to kill cAss/RheaGlad team right now is the Hex trigger team. Apply 8 stacks of Hex on the cAss, and she's dead (roughly 10-12k damage per 4 stacks of Hex), this is easily achievable with a squad of 3 rangers and 1 SnowWhite AB. Hex doesn't suffer from 3rd-row ranged mitigation damage, so even if the actual arrows themselves only do 200 damage per hit, it's the Hex that kills the cAss turn 1. The fact that the enemy cAss even applies -20% attack (or -40% if 2 of them) is not relevant, most of the damage comes from the Hex stacks exploding, not the actual damage of the arrows.

You can see examples of this team on both Everglades (see WhiteChololate - current Rank 13) and Arathos (see SpeedWanker - current Rank 1).

Because of Double Strike rune, the triggers can actually go on for 1-2 minutes non-stop, meaning Hex stacks is what kills entire enemy teams in a single turn, even on tanks. Once the double strike rune nerf goes in next month, the triggers shouldn't last longer than 20-30 seconds at best per turn, which is one of the reasons for the nerf as well, as the DS rune triggering resets the triggering chances back to 75% for the crits.

The current counters to trigger rangers at the top ranks are Cass Magebane, and Zoey Warlocks (by stunning the rangers back), and to a lesser extent Merlin Warlock (causes fear on hit).

Sn1v33

Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:13 pm

The mod actually is not wrong. One of the most effective ways to kill cAss/RheaGlad team right now is the Hex trigger team. Apply 8 stacks of Hex on the cAss, and she's dead (roughly 10-12k damage per 4 stacks of Hex), this is easily achievable with a squad of 3 rangers and 1 SnowWhite AB. Hex doesn't suffer from 3rd-row ranged mitigation damage, so even if the actual arrows themselves only do 200 damage per hit, it's the Hex that kills the cAss turn 1. The fact that the enemy cAss even applies -20% attack (or -40% if 2 of them) is not relevant, most of the damage comes from the Hex stacks exploding, not the actual damage of the arrows.

You can see examples of this team on both Everglades (see WhiteChololate - current Rank 13) and Arathos (see SpeedWanker - current Rank 1).

Because of Double Strike rune, the triggers can actually go on for 1-2 minutes non-stop, meaning Hex stacks is what kills entire enemy teams in a single turn, even on tanks. Once the double strike rune nerf goes in next month, the triggers shouldn't last longer than 20-30 seconds at best per turn, which is one of the reasons for the nerf as well, as the DS rune triggering resets the triggering chances back to 75% for the crits.

The current counters to trigger rangers at the top ranks are Cass Magebane, and Zoey Warlocks (by stunning the rangers back), and to a lesser extent Merlin Warlock (causes fear on hit).
I can honestly see that so basically, it gives more incentive to use ranger hex teams but to counteract that, they'll nerf double strike runes to minimize the triggers? I can accept that but what about skill based heroes(ie. Mystics and healers). Only Zoey and Merlock have a chance at surviving them. They honestly don't need more offensive utility but it would be awesome if mystics and nontrigger healers are given a mode of defense to better weather trigger teams.

Xinhuan

Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:29 pm

Well it's kind of like a rock paper scissors thing.Trigger Hexes can beat cAss/Rhea, but cAss/Rhea can beat tank teams, and tank teams can beat a whole range of squads too, etc. To maintain a high win rate in the arena, you adapt your squad to take into account the squads that you queue into more often.

Reichan

Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:40 pm

1. Ain't no way they gonna balance expensive unit
2. She is a counter to certain setup and she also gets countered by certain setup. Try to be creative and think outside SDD or trigger
3. If you're talking about making hex team to counter her, it probably could work. Too bad those hex stackers were B tier unit(s) that probably we forgot.

Zvalmiekloranesh

Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:09 am

Hi there,

From a mod (player)'s point of view, I noticed that Cassassin is quite silly in the sense that she doesn't cast her skill as priority if she's unable to lock onto two targets at the same time. I noticed this by accident as I was using a Rhea Dragoon to play around and it caused my team to split into single positions.

What I suggest players can also try is to use heroes like Lancelord, Rhea Dragoon etc. basically heroes with movement capabilities.

Try to rearrange your squad midway through the battle to be in a vertical formations rather than horizontal ones. I think it will prevent Cassassin from casting her skill! :)

*I am not the most up to date with the arena metas btw! So correct me if I'm wrong*
Soooooo, to beat cAss, split your formation, or do a ranger trigger hex team ?

There is something I don't understand. It seems like Cassy was born from a good intention, to counter ranger trigger team in high ranked matchs, but this kind of team was so powerful that Cassy needed to be OP. And now the only solution to kill her is what she was supposed to counter, because she's too powerful ?

Thanks for answering MiloD, but as Sn1v33 said, answer about the valiants rework too. Bring back hybrid teams in the meta. Bring back many solutions for many teams. Many different counters. Many different good ideas for team building. Not for 3-4 archetypes ruling all over the arena.

I don't want to rely on a bug to be able to kill a character. But at least, thanks for the tip...

Xinhuan

Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:07 am

There is something I don't understand. It seems like Cassy was born from a good intention, to counter ranger trigger team in high ranked matchs, but this kind of team was so powerful that Cassy needed to be OP. And now the only solution to kill her is what she was supposed to counter, because she's too powerful ?
Eh I think you missed the point. Magebane Cass counters trigger teams easily. Hex trigger teams counters Assassin Cass. Different units, different job paths, different counters.